Two Frontier sources, global search problems, how to fix

General tech support questions and answers, for technical questions about the Foodclub system. Useful resource for new users to Foodclub, both to search for answered questions and ask new ones of experienced users.

Two Frontier sources, global search problems, how to fix

Postby support » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:48 pm

user {l Wrote}:
support {l Wrote}:
user {l Wrote}:We ran into an issue when another member started running a second Frontier co-op via at the same time I run my regular one. I figured this would be fine as they are separate sources. But, we quickly realized an issue with the Product Search box, which is located under the Source Dropdown menu. If members are in the new Frontier source (labeled Froniter- Decatur) and search for products in the "Product Search" box and add an item to their order, it will add to the Frontier- CU source instead of the Decatur source. It's like the Frontier- CU source is the "root" source and it defaults there when using the Product Search box. Everything works fine if members use the regular Search box next to the Search button. But we have almost entirely all new members ordering from the Decatur source and a bunch of them added items using both the search boxes and ended up with orders in both Frontier sources. Very confusing for newbies.

So, I'm wondering, is there a way to turn off the Product Search box entirely? We don't ever use it. I searched the wikis but couldn't find anything out right.

It will be problematic having two Frontier sources open at the same time, without some other settings enabled. Have you considered using village mode? Why do you want to have two Frontier sources open at the same time? If they are for different geographic locations, then really you should be using village mode. You put all members in one geographic location in one village, e.g. Decatur, and then others in another village, e.g. CU.

Then you can set one Frontier source to be only accessible to one village, and the other Frontier source only accessible to the other village. This will automatically fix your global search, so it is "fool proof." Users only get product search results from the Frontier source in their village, and so are forced to add items to the correct source.

That is the proper solution. But if you really want to disable global search, it can be done with CSS, but that will also really get rid of a lot of useful functionality, just to solve this Frontier issue. i.e. it's not really the right tool for the job.

You're right we are running 2 Frontiers simultaneously because we have two geographic locations.

So, I enabled Villages and created two names: "Champaign-Urbana" and "Decatur" But I cannot assign my members to villages because we have open orders. It is instructing me to remove all open orders, but the reality is that we have open orders almost all the time. [...]

I checked your settings and changing users' villages should work now. The issue is that you can't change villages with items in your cart, when the "intra-village splits" is enabled for ANY source, OR if you set any source to be only accessible to certain villages. You probably did one of those temporarily while you tried changing someone's village. It should work for you now.

Once you set all users' villages, then you can add the allowed villages for sources.

user {l Wrote}:Now, if I assign the CU village to the CU Frontier and the Decatur village to the Decatur Frontier, will all members, regardless of their village still be able to order from all other sources?

user {l Wrote}:Thank you! I have gone through my hundreds of members and assigned most of them a village. I then limited the CU and Decatur Frontier sources to those villages respectively. So I should be good to go? All other sources will be open to all members since I didn't limit them, right?

Correct. All sources where you didn't limit them to a village on Source settings -> Village mode settings will be open to users in both villages (or no village).

user {l Wrote}:I also didn't check the boxes to prevent members from changing their locations or accessing other sources, so hopefully people will be able to fix things on their own as needed? I hope?

Yes, members can change their own village, but now that you have your Frontier sources limited to certain villages, they will only be able to do so when they have nothing in their cart. (as you discovered earlier) So you may get questions from members if/when they try to change their village.

If someone really needs to switch villages while they have lots of items in their cart, you're going to have to do it for them. This is a sanity precaution, mind you. If someone has lots of items ordered under the Frontier for Decatur, and then wants to switch to CU, those items won't move with them. So it takes an admin to notice this and deal with it: either manually delete the items and reorder them, or just live with the consequences.

After you take a look at a user's cart who wants to switch villages, you can disable the village limiting on your two Frontier sources, then change their village, then re-enable the village limiting on the Frontiers.
support

Return to Support